Arsenal thrashes Porto to reach champions league quarter finals

(Last Updated On: 13 March 2024)

Mikel Arteta’s Arsenal beat Portuguese side FC Porto on Tuesday night to reach the Champions League quarter-finals in 14 years.

Arsenal needed a penalty shootout to claim a satisfactory victory after Leandro Trossard’s goal was not enough to take them through.

The score line stood at 1:0 (1:1 on aggregate) after extra time. Penalty kicks were the only option to determine the quarter-finalists in that fixture.

Ultimately, David Raya’s heroism to save two kicks and nearly punch off the previous shot, sent Mikel Arteta, his staff; the players and the entire Emirates Stadium especially the home supporters to superior celebrations.

Arsenal had not reached the quarter-finals in almost one and half decades and Arteta and his boys knew they needed to break the ‘curse’.

Playing a determined Porto, led by a 41-year-old captain Képler Laveran Lima Ferreira, widely known as Pepe, Arsenal had some star players to praise. Captain Martin Odeegard, Leandro Trossard (who scored an FH goal), Declan Rice, Bukayo Saka, Kai Havertz and superhero Raya, among others, put their spot kicks in.

Porto’s Galeno and Wendell had their two spot kicks saved by Arsenal’s No.22 while Arsenal’s Rice, Saka, Kai; Havertz and Odeegard had theirs go in.

“I should have saved three, but personally and collectively, I am over the moon,” Raya told TNT Sports.

Mikel Arteta is quoted by the club’s website on his emotion after penalties: “Magic, what we expected, a really tough opponent, really well organised, very difficult to generate constant momentum in the game in the way they play and that’s a credit to them. We did it, we scored a beautiful goal, they insisted in different ways, in the way the game allowed as well, and it’s such a huge experience for us…”

The Champions League draw takes place on Friday at 2 pm local time and 11 am in the United Kingdom.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *